Temescal Canyon Gateway Park
15601 W Sunset Blvd
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
I highly recommend this hike. You’re surrounded by stunning views! On a clear day you can…
- see downtown LA
- overlook the Southern California beaches (Palos Verdes, Hermosa, -Manhattan, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu)
- be amazed at the expansive views of the ocean with a glimpse of Catalina Island across the way
- catch a view of the mountains, depending on the time of year they may be snow-capped :)
- be surrounded by vibrant green hillsides
- cross a seasonal waterfall
Directions: Temescal Gateway Park is located in Pacific Palisades, just 1 mile north of the Pacific Coast Highway at the intersection of Temscal Canyon Rd & Sunset Blvd.
Parking: Street parking is free. Inside the park parking is $7.
Hints, Tips, & Suggestions:
- If you enter the park, watch for the cameras at all the stop signs. If you don’t make a complete stop I hear the fines can run upwards of $175.
- I enjoy starting at the back trail. I usually head up Temescal Canyon Trail (here you’ll cross a bridge over the waterfall) because you’re going uphill in the shade. Then, I go down Temescal Canyon Ridge Trail because you have a head on view of the ocean & that part of the loop tends to get more sun.
- There are plenty of vantage points that I tend to hang out on for a bit so on average, this loop takes me about 1 hour & 15 min give or take.
- There are very well maintained bathrooms as soon as you get into the park, but none along the trail.
- I’ve always brought water with me on this hike. Hiking in the heat, I need it.